Monday, November 11, 2013

"Thanks for taking time out of your schedule, Pastor..."

One of my loves as a Pastor is the opportunity to help people with real issues in their lives.  It could be helping a married couple that is going through a difficult time, or a person struggling with a certain gripping sin in their life.  Whatever the issue, I get to apply the Word of God to their life. God’s Word has the key to healthy relationships, victory over sin, a life filled with joy, and in general God’s design for our lives.

 Unlike the ever-changing world of psychology and secular counseling, the Bible is unchanging. Though being written thousands of years ago, it speaks throughout all generations to the very best way for humanity to live and interact. In fact, that is one of the reasons I believe in the Divine authorship of the Bible. Only the Creator of humanity would know how they would best function in all time and situations.

 James chapter 1 refers to the Bible as a mirror. It allows us to see blemishes and blind spots and then shows us how to correct it.  It teaches us the root of sin is found in our own hearts and points us to the forgiving, delivering, transforming Gospel of Jesus Christ.

 After I attended the Biblical Counseling Training Conference at Faith Church, in Lafayette, IN, my confidence in the Bible’s ability to address issues and my ability to apply it to people’s lives greatly increased. I’m looking forward to attending again in February with Laurie. In fact, I am hoping that others from Solid Rock with join us. We (Solid Rock) are so committed to the value of Biblical counseling and its potential to impact our church and our community that we (Solid Rock) are willing to cover the cost of the conference ($445) for anyone that wants to go. (Each will have to cover their own cost of lodging, food, and travel.) For more information on the conference click here.

 But that’s not really what this post is about.  I love the opportunity to help people through counseling. However, many times, probably most of the time, after I am done meeting with someone they say, “Thanks for taking time out of your schedule, Pastor”


I’m not taking time out of my schedule, this is my schedule. I wish I had more meetings like these in my schedule (there certainly is no shortage of problems, struggles, and issues).  So please, let this be an invitation to any and all who read this, it is not a burden for me to meet with you and minister to you with the Word of God, it is a joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment