Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Identity Theft pt. 1


Who we are, or rather who we understand ourselves to be, is of paramount importance to our entire lives.  Our identity shapes our behavior, our understanding of God, our relationships with others, and our view of salvation.  If we accept a false identity we will not be able to experience the life that God has for us--the life that Christ purchased for us--and we will miss out on the glorious truths of the Gospel.

In the beginning of 2015 I began a sermon series entitled "Identity Theft: Lies that Rob us of Who We are in Christ."  As I have been sharing these messages I have become increasingly convinced of the importance of an accurate understanding of our identity in Christ.  So much so, I want to share it here too.

The identity statements or truths that we are examining come from Colossians 1:11-14



From this truth-packed paragraph come 6 lies that we tell ourselves that, if believed, will rob us of who we are in Christ.  The first lie is:

LIE #1
   "I have everything I need!"

This also comes in the form of:
   "I can handle this"
   "I can manage on my own"
   "I got this"
   "I just need to believe in myself"

But the truth is, we need to be strengthened.

Not unlike the church in Laodicea (Revelation 3:14-22), we tend to think we "don't need a thing".  The truth is we are "wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked"  We need the strength that comes from Christ.

Not only do we think this lie but, we get told this lie, and even have this lie preached to us from church pulpits.  I bet at one time or another you've heard it said that "God never gives us more than we can handle".  Maybe you've even comforted yourself with that phrase in a difficult time. 

One problem... it's not true.

Wait a minute!  What about that verse that says so?  

1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

Firstly, this text is talking about temptation. Second, it is clear who provides the "way out"  it is God.  Even this scripture confirms that it is God who provides the help, not ourselves.

This has huge implications!   Because if God never gives me more than I can handle, why do I need God? If life is never going to be so hard as to go beyond my own abilities, then I don't need any help, I don't need to be strengthened, I don't need God, I just need myself.

But the truth is we do need God.  Take a look at the world around us. Depression, Divorce, Suicide, Debt (from chasing pleasures that won't satisfy) are all at or near their highest rates.  Sounds to me like "wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked."

Paul said it plainly and best in 2 Corinthians 1:8-9 that we do need God.
We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead.
And again in 2 Corinthians 12:7-10
Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 

We are our strongest when we realize that we're not.

How do we become strengthened?

Well, first, this is for believers in Jesus.  This is for Christians--those who have placed their faith in Jesus for salvation.  This isn't a self-help instruction. This is tapping into the identity that we have in Christ from being saved by Him.

How does one become strengthened?
  • Recognize your Need - admitting we need help is an act of humility and with humility comes the grace of God.  That grace carries with it the strength of God.
  • Rely upon God - draw close to him though His Word, through prayer
  • Repeat - if we don't continue in this perspective, pride will creep in and, again, convince us that we don’t need God.


No comments:

Post a Comment