Thursday, May 22, 2014

I just can't memorize scripture... so I stopped trying

I don't know if our brains get slower or if they get fuller, but the older I get the harder and harder it is to memorize Scripture. I realized this to be true recently by observing my children and their ability to memorize Scripture.  Every week Laurie prints off a new verse and puts it on the fridge. The boys read it before meals and see it when they get a snack.  By about day three they have it memorized. It is amazing and wonderful! And they aren't short verses, either. They are usually multiple verses.  And my boys memorize them, word for word--even the twins, and they can't even read, yet! 

Scripture memory is important:
Chuck Swindoll wrote, “I know of no other single practice in the Christian life more rewarding, practically speaking, than memorizing Scripture. . . . No other single exercise pays greater spiritual dividends! Your prayer life will be strengthened. Your witnessing will be sharper and much more effective. Your attitudes and outlook will begin to change. Your mind will become alert and observant. Your confidence and assurance will be enhanced. Your faith will be solidified” (Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life [Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1994], p. 61).
Scripture memory is beneficial toward
  • Living Like Jesus
  • Daily Choosing Obedience over Sin
  • Giving Comfort and Counsel for People You Love
  • Communicating the Gospel to Others
  • Understanding and Enjoying God 
Scripture memory is hard 

My mind wanders. I get words mixed up. Good luck if I can ever remember the chapter and verse numbers. Many verses sound like other verses, so I get them confused in my mind...  so I stopped trying.

There's this weird phenomenon where the things we want to memorize, we can't, but the things we don't try to memorize we can.  

I stopped trying to memorize it. I stopped trying to be able to recite it perfectly. I stopped getting frustrated, and I started learning Scripture. I started absorbing Scripture. I started just reading the same passage over and over to become familiar with it. I read it over and over to squeeze every last drop of understanding out of it. I focused on understanding Scripture, letting go of the pressure to memorize it.  And guess what happened?  I began memorizing it.  I'm not sure if it is a trick that I'm playing on my brain, or if it is linked to what some people have called "test taking anxiety", but this seems to work.  I have also found that when I "memorize" this way, I tend to remember it longer (Sort of like the difference between learning and simply cramming for the test.)

If you have a system of memorizing Scripture that works for you, keep at it!  There is great benefit in it. Psalm 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

But for others who have become frustrated with trying to memorize Scripture, try this approach. Joshua 1:8 Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it.  

Scripture memory resources:
www.fighterverses.com
www.navpress.com/Topical-Memory-System



No comments:

Post a Comment